This is a simple guide on how to turn off Frequent Locations on your iPhone.
Did you know your iPhone tracks and records everywhere you go?
A feature called “Significant Locations” introduced in iOS 7 tracks, records, and stores frequent places you visit and even how long you’ve been there.
While Apple says it’s helpful to provide better location-based data and suggestions, some people may find it creepy (including myself).
The same feature still exists in newer iOS versions, and it’s on by default.
The good news is you can disable it. This article will walk you through the steps to turn off the “Significant Locations” feature on your iPhone.
Delete iPhone Significant Locations
Significant Locations are in your iPhone settings. To delete and disable this feature, follow these steps:
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Tap Privacy & Security.
3. Then, select the very first option: Location Services. You’ll find Location Services turned ON by default and all the apps you allow to track your location.
You’ll see a lot of system services that use your location for various built-in features. You can turn off the ones you think you don’t need. But for the purpose of this guide, jump to step #4 below.
4. Scroll to the bottom and select System Services.
5. Tap on Significant Locations. It might say Frequent Locations depending on what iOS version is running on your iPhone.
Because Apple understands how important these data are, it requires authentication via a passcode, Touch ID, or Face ID.
Once you’re in, you’ll see a list of all the frequent locations with the dates and time spent in those locations.
6. At the bottom, you’ll see a list of all the locations you’ve been to in the past. Tap Clear History to delete these locations on devices signed in with the same Apple ID.
7. To turn Significant Locations off, swipe the slider to the left. If the icon is no longer green, your iPhone will stop tracking locations you frequently visit.
Is Significant Locations a Security Risk?
Now, you may wonder if Apple is spying on you. According to the company, these data are end-to-end encrypted, and only you and your iPhone can access those data.
It’s safe to know that neither Apple nor third-party apps have access to that information.
It’s important to note that your iCloud backups do not include Significant Locations, so in the event that you get a new iPhone, you would not be able to retrieve those data.
Wrap-Up: Delete Significant Locations on Your iPhone
Knowing how to delete significant locations from your iPhone can be a crucial step in protecting your online privacy.
The process is straightforward and can be done quickly and easily through the Settings app.
By taking these simple steps, you can safeguard your sensitive information and enjoy the full benefits of your iPhone without the fear of surveillance.
If you have any feedback or questions, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.