In this quick guide, you’ll learn how to rotate videos on iPhone.
Sometimes when we take a video with our iPhone, we tend to slightly turn the device sideways in order to capture the whole panorama. And other times we may accidentally shot in portrait mode instead of landscape. This results in a sideway video, which isn’t too pleasant to the eyes.
In earlier iOS versions, the Photos app didn’t give you the option to rotate videos, you’d have to download third-party apps for that matter. Thankfully in iOS 13 and later, you can rotate videos on iPhone right within the Photos app.
Here’s how to rotate a video on your iPhone using the Photos app and iMovie.
How to rotate a video with Photos
1. Open the Photos app on your iPhone and find the video you want to rotate.
2. Tap Edit at the to right corner of the screen
3. Tap on the crop tool icon (it’s a square icon with two arrows around it pointing counterclockwise) at the bottom of the screen.
4. In the next screen, you’ll have different options to choose from such as: crop manually, crop to a standard preset ratio, rotate, and flip. For the sake of this guide, we’ll use the rotate icon on the top left corner of the screen (second icon).
5. Tap the rotate icon to rotate the video 90 degrees.
6. Choose Done at the bottom to save your changes.
How to rotate a video with iMovie
You can also use the iMovie app to rotate your videos on iPhone. In fact, before iOS 13 it was iPhone users’ primary option to edit videos. It used to be a paid app from Apple, but now it’s free. Go ahead and download it from the App Store.
1. Once iMovie is installed, open it and tap Create Project, Movie and then Create Movie at the bottom of the screen.
2. Tap the + button to add video, tap Video from the list, then select the video you want to rotate. An option panel will appear on the screen, tap on the + button to finally add your video. You can tap on the play video icon to play the video in a popup to make sure you’ve picked up the right video.
3. Your video will appear at the top of the timeline. Use your two fingers to rotate the video to the direction you want to rotate it.
4. Tap Done at the top left to save your changes.
5. Tap the Share icon (upward arrow icon in the middle) at the bottom and then Save Video. You’ll have the chance to choose the resolution of the video before saving it.
That’s pretty much it. You’ve learned how to rotate a video on iPhone. Don’t forget to share this article.