The watch faces act as the window to your Apple Watch. Each face is an extension of your personality because it’s a visual representation of what you care about at that moment in time.
As with classic watches, wearers have preferences about how their watch looks. Some like a digital readout of time, and some like the traditional analog model. Even within those two styles, there are many different variations of appearance.
The great thing about the Apple Watch is that it allows you to change the watch face right from the screen of the watch or from the paired iPhone.
So how do you change between various watch faces in order to find the ones that really show off your personality? In this guide, we’ll walk you through two different ways to change your Apple Watch faces.
How to Change Your Apple Watch Face From the Apple Watch
Apple made sure that when it came to switching faces from the watch itself, the process couldn’t be simpler.
Simply swiping in either the left or right direction will cycle through the library of faces currently available, and you can simply stop when you reach a watch face that you are happy with.
Some users don’t like to keep the same face on their watch for long periods of time. Some even opt to change it throughout the day.
After all, some faces are brighter than others, and some are dimmer. This makes different faces more suitable for different times of the day.
How to Change Your Apple Watch Face From the iPhone
Because your Apple Watch is paired with your iPhone, almost all activities that affect the watch can also be performed through the Watch app.
If you wanted to change the face of the Apple Watch from the paired iPhone, you can do so with the following set of steps:
1. Open the Watch app on your iPhone, and click Face Gallery from the bottom choice menu. You’ll find a variety of watch faces to choose from.
2. Once you find the face that you like, tap it to select it.
3. The next screen will offer some customization options. If you are satisfied with the current face choice, simply click the Add button.
4. This will add the face to your watch’s face library. You can then select the face you prefer to use on your watch.
Managing Apple Watch Faces
There are some standard Apple Watch faces available but none of the choices may satisfy you. Luckily, there are a lot more options than initially offered by the library.
There might also be watch faces that you really don’t like and perhaps would never choose. This leaves no reason to keep them as part of the selection when scrolling through the library options.
In either case, adding, removing, editing, customizing, and creating watch faces is not challenging. As noted earlier, you can simply enter the Watch app from your iPhone and access the Face Gallery.
You can easily customize each face to a variety of styles and colors. Once the customization edits are complete, you simply click the Add button to get the face added to the selection.
How to Add a Watch Face Via Your Apple Watch
To add watch faces on the Apple Watch, follow the steps below.
1. Touch and hold the watch face, then swipe left until the available face options end and reach the New section. It will contain a box with a plus sign inside.
2. Then, tap on the plus sign and rotate the digital crown to move through the available watch faces. When you find a watch face that you like, tap Add to add it.
3. Once the face has been added, you’ll see the Edit option. The digital crown will now control the selection of customizable features like colors and markings, as well as widget activities that display fitness or weather activity.
4. Press the digital crown to finalize and save the changes you’ve made to that face.
Once you’ve created your Apple Watch face, you can choose to share it with your friends or family. Our roundup guide of the best Apple Watch tips and tricks will show you how.
How to Remove a Watch Face Via Your iPhone
Removing a Watch face that you don’t want in the library is just as simple.
Open the Watch app from your iPhone and tap on and select the face you want to remove from the library.
Then, scroll down and tap the Remove Watch face button to delete the face. This method works great if you want to delete a face.
However, this method can be time-consuming if you want to remove multiple faces. In this case, follow the steps below:
- Under the My Watch tab of the iPhone Watch app, tap the Edit button next to My Faces.
- This will bring up the list of faces, with each having a red circle with a minus in it.
- Tap the red circle next to the watch faces from the list you want to remove. Then, tap Remove.
It’s fairly easy to remove a watch face from the Apple Watch, here’s how:
1. Touch and hold the display to bring the watch face gallery. From here you can swipe left or right to go through all your watch faces.
2. When you find the face that you want to delete, swipe up on the watch face and tap Remove.
Press the digital crown to return to your previous watch face or pick another face.
Final Thoughts on How to Change Apple Watch Face
There you have it—our step-by-step guide to show you how to add, remove, and customize watch faces on your Apple Watch.
As you can see, the Apple Watch comes with plenty of watch faces to choose from and you have different ways to do so.
Whether you want to use your iPhone or the watch itself, the process is pretty much the same.
Do you have any questions about adding or removing watch faces to your Apple Watch? Let us know in the comments.