Did you know your iPhone keypad can do much more than just typing phone numbers and making phone calls?
You can use it to enter iPhone secret codes to do all kinds of things, such as troubleshooting, checking IMEI, and hiding your caller ID when you make outgoing calls.
But what are iPhone secret codes to begin with?
What Are iPhone Secret Codes?
iPhone secret codes, or Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) codes, are a series of numeric or alphanumeric combinations that you can enter into your iPhone’s dialer or keypad.
These codes provide shortcuts to access specific settings, functions, or information within your iPhone that may not be easily accessible through the Settings app.
These codes were more popular in the past when Settings apps on iPhones were not as feature-rich and advanced as they are today.
But with the improvements in the iOS operating system, many of the functionalities that were once accessed through secret codes are now available through the Settings app.
However, some iPhone secret codes may be useful, especially for specific tasks or troubleshooting.
For instance, certain codes might provide information about network settings, call forwarding, call waiting status, IMEI checks, or account balance inquiries.
How to Use iPhone Secret Codes
You can use secret codes on your iPhone as if you were making a phone call.
- Open up the Phone app.
- Navigate to Keypad.
- Enter your secret code.
- Depending on the code, you may need to press the Call button, while others will initiate the action immediately.
Let’s try one of my favorite iPhone secret codes to see how it works. I’ll check the detailed information about my network with the following code: 3001#12345#
Let’s try another iPhone secret code. This time we’re going to check the IMEI status of an iPhone.
For this secret code, I didn’t need to press the Call button. When I finish entering the code, the IMEI appears on the screen.
Editor’s Note: Keep in mind some of these iPhone secret codes, if entered incorrectly, can negatively affect your iPhone’s functionality. Only use these codes if you know what you’re doing.
Useful iPhone Secret Codes
With that in mind, we will explore some of the most useful and interesting iPhone secret codes.
- *500525371#: Check Alert System status
- *500525370#: Disable Alert System status
- *#61#: Check how many missed calls you have
- *31#(the phone number): Hide your caller ID outside the US
- *67(the phone number): Hide your caller ID in the US
- *82(the phone number): Force show your caller ID when you call others
- *21(the phone number)#: Forward calls to another number
- *#21#: Call forwarding status
- *#33#: Blocked numbers settings
- *#43#: Call waiting settings
- *#06#: Check your IMEI
- 3001#12345#: Launch field test mode
- 3001#12345#: Check your mobile network parameters
- 33(SIM card PIN)#: Block incoming calls
- 33*(SIM card PIN)#: Unblock incoming calls
- 511: Check traffic information with no internet
- *777#: Check prepaid account balance
- *225#: Look at your postpaid account balance
- *646#: Check your data plan status
Wrap-Up: Using iPhone Secret Codes
Try some of these secret codes to discover hidden features and additional information about your iPhone.
Remember that depending on the carrier and your plan type, not all codes will work as intended.