Facebook Messenger, one of the best messaging apps on the market, has a myriad of awesome features.
However, not everyone uses the app to its full potential. If you’re one of those users that only use Messenger to chat with their friends, you’re missing out big time.
While many of these features are aimed to make you spend more time in the app, which means more money in Zuck’s pocket, there are actually some of them that are worth checking out.
These are the 10 best Facebook Messenger hacks, tips, and tricks you should try now. Without further ado, let’s get started.
1. Send and Receive money
Messenger allows you to transfer money to other Messenger users. Start a conversation with someone you want to pay. In the chat window hit the plus sign, select “Payments“, and fill out the amount you want to send.
You can also click on the person’s name at the top and tap “Send or Request Money“. Keep in mind both users will have to add their bank details to Facebook.
Follow these steps to add you bank information to your Facebook account.
- Go over Settings.
- Select Payments.
- Then, tap Add New Debit Card.
Once you’ve done that, you’re all set to use that feature at no cost.
Once you’ve sent the money, you cannot cancel the transaction. So, make sure you double-check who you’re sending the money to. You can also create a PIN and enable TouchID or FaceID to provide an extra layer of security.
That feature is only available in the US for now, and only accept Visa or MasterCard debit card issued by a US bank.
2. Quickly Find Messages Using Search in Conversation
It can be annoying and frustrating when you want to find a particular message inside a long thread of conversation.
You would have to spend a while scrolling through the chat history before you can spot that particular message.
But did you know that Messenger has a built-in “Search in Conversation” feature? This cool feature lets you quickly find a message in your conversation.
Here’s how you do that.
- While you’re in a single conversation or a group chat, tap on the person’s name at the top of the windows.
- This will open the right trail with multiple options, including the “Search in Conversation.”
- Tap on it and type in a keyword in the search box. Messenger will now instantly find the chat that you are looking for.
3. Adjust the Size of Emoji
Using emojis in Messenger is a nice way to make your conversation more vivid and fun. While emojis are a big part of our online conversation, not everybody knows that you can adjust their size before you send them in Messenger.
Here’s how to make emojis bigger in Messenger:
- On your conversation windows, tap on the smiley emoji icon in the toolbar above the text field.
- Press and hold on to the emoji that you want to send. It will start getting bigger, release your finger to send the super-sized emoji.
The longer you hold, the bigger the emoji will get. But be mindful if you hold too long, the emoji will begin to shake and revert back to its smaller, normal size.
4. Add Reminders
Many people don’t know this but there is a built-in reminder feature on Facebook Messenger.
It’s easy to set up, and here’s how:
- Open a chat and tap on the four dots on the left of the text field.
- There you’ll see the “Reminders” bell icon on the first row, select it.
- In the pop-up menu, select a name, time, and location for the reminder. Everyone in the chat will be able to see and respond to the reminder.
5. Unsend Messages in Facebook Messenger
It has happened to the best of us before. We all have sent a message by mistake or have been embarrassed by a message that we sent to a Messenger group.
But thankfully Facebook has introduced a new feature that gives us the ability to remove sent messages from Messenger worldwide.
Here’s how to unsend messages in Facebook Messenger.
- Long-press on a message you want to unsend.
- Select the More…
- Tap “Unsend” from the pop-up menu.
- Next, select “Unsend for everyone” to delete the message for all the recipients. Alternatively, tap “Unsend for you” to remove it from your chat but leave it on other participants’ threads.
- Select “OK” to confirm.
In the place of the deleted message, there’ll be a placeholder to let everyone in the conversation know that you removed the message.
6. Send Your Location
Did you know you can send your exact location to someone you’re talking with on the mobile app? Messenger lets you send your location for a specific period of time.
To send your location, follow these steps:
- From Chats, tap a conversation to open it.
- Tap the + icon in the bottom left.
- Tap the location icon.
- Allow Messenger to use your location.
- Tap Start Sharing Live Location.
Of course, you can cancel the sharing before it expires, and delete your location data from Facebook.
7. Share Useful Information Via App Extensions
With tons of third-party apps integrated right into Messenger, you can share useful stuff with your friends.
Just open a conversation, click on the plus sign on the left side, at the bottom under “Extensions” you’ll see a line of third-party apps.
If you’re texting about music, you can share a song or playlist from Spotify without having to leave the conversation.
8. Add Friends With Your Profile Code
Every Messenger user has a unique profile code, a similar (copied) feature from Snapchat. Now it’s easier to add friends.
Follow these steps:
- Head over to your profile at the top left corner, tap your profile picture with a circular code.
- You’ll find two tabs, “My code“, which is your own code to be scanned by other people, and “Scan Code” to scan someone else’s.
I found this way more convenient and efficient instead of inviting people and waiting for them to accept your invitation. This can also be done under Settings.
9. Send and Receive Secret Messages
You can start secret conversations with other Messenger users. Now it supports end-to-end encryption, a similar feature used in WhatsApp. It’s not enabled by default since it will prevent multiple other features to work properly.
To do so, just go to your profile, tap Secret Conversations, and activate it. Now, all your conversations within Messenger are secret. No one, not even Facebook, can read those messages.
You’ll be able to set a timer by tapping the clock icon in the text box, so your messages can disappear after a certain period of time.
10. Voice and Video Calling
Gone are the days where you could only use Messenger to send text messages. Now the App is fully equipped with voice and video calling capabilities.
In a conversation window, in the upper right corner, tap on the little phone and video camera icons to either start a phone or video call.