If Gmail is not working on your iPhone, you might not be able to log in to Gmail or use its services.
Email apps like Gmail have a significant impact on society through how we communicate. So a Gmail failure on your iPhone can be chaotic.
Luckily, there are several proven fixes that you can implement to fix Gmail not working on your iPhone. Here’s what you should do right now to get Gmail working again on your iPhone.
Why Does Gmail Stop Working on iPhone?
Many reasons may cause Gmail to stop working on your iPhone, but one of the main reasons is security.
When you travel to another country or region and log in with a different IP or location, Google assumes someone is trying to hack your account.
Even if you’re not on a trip, sign-in attempts from unknown devices may block your Gmail temporarily.
Of course, there may be other reasons, and you can check all the solutions to fix the problem. Let’s get started.
In case, you’re dealing with email stuck in your outbox, we have a separate article that will show you how to troubleshoot email stuck in Gmail outbox, step by step. You should check it out.
Ways to Fix Gmail Not Working on iPhone
Here are all the tips you’ll need to try to troubleshoot the Gmail not working on your iPhone. Try them in order until you find the one that fixes the problem.
1. Check Google/Gmail Website for Alerts
When Gmail (Google) blocks you, it sends an email to the same or recovery account. You can check it with another device.
Check your sign-in history and review your devices. Follow the instructions and let Google know you’re the account holder trying to sign in.
2. Review Device Activities
You can check device activity for any suspicious sign-in attempt and remove the unknown device. To do this, follow the steps below:
1. Go to myaccount.google.com using your iPhone or computer.
2. Then, tap Go to Google Account and sign in (if needed).
3. Open the Security tab.
4. Open Recent Security Activity.
5. Check devices and their locations connected to your accounts.
6. Next, you will see an email. Tap on Yes, it’s me, or Yes, it was me.
7. Your Gmail will start loading normally afterward.
3. Use CAPTCHA Reset
Use CAPTCHA reset to solve the problem when Gmail is not working on iPhone.
Visit the Display Unlock Captcha page using your iPhone or computer.
1. Sign in to your Google account.
2. Click Continue.
3. Sign in to your Gmail app on your iPhone, and now it should work without problem.
4. Enable IMAP
Disabled IMAP could be one of the main reasons your Gmail isn’t working on your iPhone. Here’s how to find out.
1. Go to mail.google.com on Safari or other browsers on your iPhone or computer.
2. Sign in to your account.
3. If a pop-up screen showed up for using the Gmail app, tap on I am not interested.
4. Tap on the Hamburger (three-line) icon from the top left corner.
5. Scroll the page and tap Desktop.
6. Choose I’d like to use HTML Gmail.
7. On top of the page, tap on Settings.
8. Open Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
9. Enable IMAP and then tap Save Changes.
Try signing in to your Gmail using the iPhone default mail app or Gmail app.
5. Check Internet Connection
Open a page on Safari or try using another application like Instagram. If you have an internet connection, skip this step.
If you’re using VPN, turn it off. Disconnect your Wi-Fi or cellular data and reconnect it and check if the problem is solved or not.
6. Restart Your iPhone
Restarting iPhone is the most basic yet useful trick to solve dozens of minor issues. If Gmail is not working on your iPhone, try restarting your device and see if the problem is gone or not.
For iPhones With Face ID:
1. Press and hold the Volume Up or Volume Down button and the Side/Power button simultaneously.
2. Release both buttons when slide to power off appears on the screen.
3. Swipe the power icon from left to right to shut down your iPhone.
4. Wait a few seconds, then press and hold the side button to turn your iPhone back on.
5. Release the side button when the Apple logo appears.
For iPhone Without Face ID:
1. Press and hold the Power button until the slide to power off appears.
2. Swipe the power icon from left to right across the screen to shut down your iPhone.
3. Wait a few seconds, then press and hold the Power button again to turn your iPhone on again.
You can release the power button when the Apple logo appears on the screen.
7. Disable iPhone Restrictions
You may have restricted some apps on your iPhone, including Mail/Gmail app by accident. iPhone restriction is another reason why Gmail is not working on your iPhone. Follow the steps below to ensure you don’t restrict your Gmail or Mail app.
1. Open Settings.
2. Tap on Screen Time.
3. Skip this solution if your Screen Time is not active because no restrictions have been set.
4. Choose Content & Privacy Restrictions.
5. Tap on Allowed Apps.
6. Ensure the Mail app’s toggle is green (active).
8. Update the Gmail App
Application updates fix bugs and improve the function and compatibility. If your Gmail is not working on iPhone, make sure the Mail or Gmail app is updated to the last version. To update your apps, follow the steps below:
1. First, open App Store.
2. On the top right corner, tap on your Profile.
4. Tap Update if your Gmail app has a new update.
9. Update iOS
Sometimes, an outdated or old iOS version may cause many problems with your iPhone.
If you use the built-in Mail app, you have to update it by updating iOS. The iOS updates also have bug fixes and performance improvements. To update your iOS:
1. Open Settings.
2. Tap on General.
3. Choose Software Update.
If any update is available, tap on Download and Install.
10. Uninstall and Reinstall Gmail/Mail App
Uninstalling and reinstalling apps may solve minor issues. To remove an app on iPhone:
1. Long-press on Gmail/Mail app.
2. Tap on Remove App.
3. A pop-up window appears. Tap on Remove App.
4. On the following pop-up window, tap on Delete.
Then reinstall the app from App Store.
11. Remove Your Gmail Account and Reset It
If none of the above solutions worked for you, remove Gmail from your iPhone and re-add it. Here’s how to do it:
1. Head over to the Settings app.
2. Tap on Mail.
3. Choose Accounts.
4. Open Gmail.
5. Hit on Delete Account and then Delete from My iPhone.
6. Restart your iPhone.
7. Go back to the Accounts section and tap on Add Account.
8. Add your Gmail account.
Note that, if you use Gmail third-party app, you can skip this solution.
12. Reset All Settings on Your iPhone
Resetting all settings on your iPhone will not delete your data. However, all settings on your iPhone will be deleted and restored to factory default. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, VPN, etc.
1. Open Settings.
2. Tap on General.
3. Choose Transfer or Reset iPhone.
4. Tap on Reset.
5. Choose Reset All Settings.
6. Enter your passcode and let the process finish.
Gmail not working on the iPhone is a chaotic problem that may put you in trouble. There are many reasons for this issue, and fortunately, there are more ways to solve it.
In most cases, this issue arises when Google detects any unknown and unusual sign-in activity in your account.
Verifying your identity and logging in may solve the problem. It’s better to use the Gmail third-party app instead of Mail built-in app on iPhone.
Did you manage to fix your Gmail problem? Did you find other ways to troubleshoot this issue? Share your ideas in the comments below.