Getting the “Account Action Required” notification from Google Play Services can be frustrating as it constantly appears on your phone.
But don’t worry, there is a solution! In this article, we will show you step-by-step how to get rid of the “Account Action Required” message and get back to using your account with ease.
In this article:
- Why are you getting “Account Action Required” notification?
- How to remove Account Action Required
- Wrap-Up: Remove Account Action Required
Why Are You Getting “Account Action Required” Notification?
Before we get into the fixes, here’s why you’re getting the Account Action Required from Google Play Services:
- The Google account you used to set up your Android phone is no longer working.
- You’ve changed the password of your Google account and forgot to update it in your phone settings.
- There are syncing problems with the Gmail account linked to your phone.
- You’ve accidentally deleted the Google account linked to your Android device.
Check this out: Android Process Media Has Stopped? The Fixes
How to Fix Google Play Services Account Action Required Notification On Android
If your phone keeps saying account action is required, you need to update your Google account password.
Check whether you have changed your Google account password recently and have not updated it on your device.
1. Update Your Google Account Password
We’ll start with the obvious first. If you’ve changed your Google Account password and didn’t update it on your Android phone, this might be the culprit of this “Account Action Required” notification.
In case you don’t remember if you’ve changed your password, just sign out and sign back into your Google account.
This should fix the problem after you enter the correct password. If you didn’t change your password, hop into the next step.
2. Turn off and on Google Play Services Notifications
Turning off and on Google Play Services notifications might get rid of the Account Actioned Required notification.
These steps will show you how:
- Open Settings, and tap on Apps & Notifications.
- Next, tap All apps, then look for Google Play services.
- Tap Notifications.
- Tap the toggle switch next to All Google Plays services notifications to turn the notification off. (It’s off when the toggle is white).
- Then, after a minute or two, turn it back on.
3. Clear Cache on Google Play Services
Like any other app, Google Play Services builds up a cache over time, and clearing up its cache may fix this error.
You should note when you clear the cache on Google Play Services, you will delete temporary files associated with Google Play on your device but won’t delete your apps.
Follow the steps below to clear the cache on Google Play Services:
- Head to Settings.
- Select Apps & Notifications.
- Tap See all apps and find Google Play Services.
- Select Google Play Services.
- Tap on Storage & Cache, and tap on Clear cache.
If clearing the cache on Google Plays Services didn’t cut it, move on to the next steps. We still got a few fixes you can try.
Further reading: Forgot Android Passcode? Here’s How to Get Back In
4. Clear Cache on the Play Store
Next, we’ll clear the cache & data of the Play Store on your phone.
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Tap Apps & Notifications, then tap See all apps.
- Scroll down and tap Google Play Store.
- Tap Storage.
- Next, tap Clear cache.
If the Account Action Required notification doesn’t go away, maybe the cache is not the culprit.
5. Uninstall Play Store Updates
Next, we’re going to uninstall Google Play Store updates. We’ll walk you through the steps.
- Open Settings.
- Head to Apps & Notifications.
- Tap See all apps. Scroll down and look for Google Play Store.
- Tap on the three dots at the top-right corner.
- Then, select Uninstall updates.
6. Remove and Re-Add Google Account
If that’s not an issue for you, removing your Google account and adding a new one can help you get rid of the Account action required notification.
Otherwise, you can remove and re-add the same Google account. That may be enough to kick your account back into sync.
- Head over to the Settings app.
- Tap Accounts.
- Select the Gmail account you want to remove.
- Tap the Remove account button at the bottom.
Once you’ve removed the Google account, you can proceed to add a new one or the old one. Tap Add account to do so.
Depending on how many accounts you have on your phone, you may need to scroll down to find the Add account option.
Wrap-Up: Remove Account Action Required
After exhausting all of the fixes above, you should be able to get rid of the “Account Action Required” from your phone.
To recap, here’s what you need when you encounter an “Account Action Required” notification when using Google Play services:
- Update your Google Account password
- Turn off and on Google Play Services notifications
- Clear cache on Google Play Services
- Clear cache on the Play Store
- Uninstall Play Store updates
- Remove and re-add your Google Account
Did you find other fixes that we missed in this guide? Let us know in the comments, and we’ll add them here for future readers!