Getting the “Account Action Required” notification from Google Play Services can be frustrating as it constantly appears on your phone.
But don’t worry, there is a solution! In this article, we will show you step-by-step how to get rid of the “Account Action Required” message and get back to using your account with ease.
In this article:
- Why are You Getting “Account Action Required” Notification?
- How to Remove Account Action Required
- Wrap-Up: Remove Account Action Required
Why are You Getting “Account Action Required” Notification?
Before we get into the fixes, here’s why you’re getting the Account Action Required from Google Play Services:
- The Google account you used to set up your Android phone is no longer working.
- You’ve changed the password of your Google account and forget to update it in your phone settings.
- There’re syncing problems with the Gmail account that is linked to your phone.
- You’ve accidentally deleted the Google account that is linked to your Android device.
Check this out: Android Process Media Has Stopped? The Fixes
How to Remove Account Action Required
If your phone keeps saying account action required, you need to update your Google account password. Make sure to check whether you have changed your Google account password recently and have not updated it on your device.
1. Update Your Google Account Password
We’ll start with the obvious first. If you’ve changed your Google Account password and didn’t update it on your Android phone, this might be the culprit of this “Account Action Required” notification.
In case you don’t remember if you’ve changed your password, just sign out and sign back into your Google account.
This should fix the problem after you enter the correct password. If you didn’t change your password, hop into the next step.
2. Turn off and on Google Play Services Notifications
Turning off and on Google Play Services notifications might get rid of the Account Actioned Required notification.
- Open Settings, and tap on Apps & Notifications.
- Next, tap All apps, then look for Google Play services.
- Tap Notifications.
- Tap the toggle switch next to All Google Plays services notifications to turn the notification off. (It’s off when the toggle is white).
- Then, after a minute or two turn it back on.
3. Clear Cache on Google Play Services
Like any other app, Google Play Services build up a cache over time, and clearing up its cache may fix this error.
You should note when you clear cache on Google Play Services, you will delete temporary files associated with Google Play on your device, but won’t delete your apps.
Follow the steps below to clear cache on Google Play Services:
- Head to Settings.
- Select Apps & Notifications.
- Tap See all apps and find Google Play Services.
- Select Google Play Services.
- Tap on Storage & Cache, and tap on Clear cache.
If clearing cache on Google Plays Services didn’t cut it, move on to the next steps. We still got a few fixes you can try.
Further reading: Forgot Android Passcode? Here’s How to Get Back In
4. Clear Cache on the Play Store
Next, we’ll clear the cache & data of the Play Store on your phone.
- Open the Settings app on your phone.
- Tap Apps & Notifications, then tap See all apps.
- Scroll down and tap Google Play Store.
- Tap Storage.
- Next, tap Clear cache.
If the Account Action Required notification doesn’t go away, maybe the cache is not the culprit.
5. Uninstall Play Store Updates
Next, we’re going to uninstall Google Play Store updates. We’ll walk you through the steps.
- Open Settings.
- Head to Apps & Notifications.
- Tap See all apps. Scroll down and look for Google Play Store.
- Tap on the three dots at the top-right corner.
- Then, select Uninstall updates.
6. Remove and Re-Add Google Account
If that’s not an issue for you, removing your Google account and adding a new one can help you get rid of the Account action required notification.
Otherwise, you can remove and re-add the same Google account. That may be enough to kick your account back into sync.
- Head over to the Settings app.
- Tap Accounts.
- Select the Gmail account you want to remove.
- Tap the Remove account button at the bottom.
Once you’ve removed the Google account, you can proceed to add a new one or the old one. Tap Add account to do so.
Depending on how many accounts you have on your phone, you may need to scroll down to find the Add account option.
Wrap-Up: Remove Account Action Required
After exhausting all of the fixes above, you should be able to get rid of the “Account Action Required” from your phone.
To recap, here’s what you need when you encounter a “Account Action Required”notification when using Google Play services:
- Update your Google Account password
- Turn off and on Google Play Services notifications
- Clear cache on Google Play Services
- Clear cache on the Play Store
- Uninstall Play Store updates
- Remove and re-add your Google Account
Did you find other fixes that we missed in this guide? Let us know in the comments, and we’ll add them here for future readers!
25 thoughts on “How to Get Rid of Account Action Required (Step-by-Step)”
I have tried every step. When I try to remove the google account, it just doesn’t do it. I’m afraid I have to reset the phone
Hey Shruti, if you decide to go to the reset route remember to have a backup ready so you don’t lose any of your data.
I am a student and using a work profile with my school account. The “action account required” notification comes out I press into it and the next second I’m back to where I started. The only app that I cant use is my google classroom and it is the important app because I need to pass up my homework. PLS HELP ASAP, thank you.
Hi Azzy. Clearing cache & data from Google Play Services should get rid of the notification. If that doesn’t fix the problem, you need to contact your school IT department.
I have gone through the process to delete a google Gmail account. The account still shows up on the list of Google accounts (Gmail). I also received notification that the action is required for a Google account. There is no option to clear the notification. The only option is to take action but there is no action to take because I deleted this account.
Hey Jason, thanks for dropping by. If you have multiple email accounts set up on your phone do as follows.
Settings > Google > Choose a different email (not the one driving you crazy) > from the list of accounts, choose the one that you deleted but still wants you to verify > Manage accounts on this device > Select the Gmail account > Remove account.
Let me know how it goes.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0 and the notification Account action required is so annoying.
Hey Dina, for your Samsung Galaxy S4 try this: open the Gallery app > Menu button > Settings > select the account with the action required error > Menu button > Remove account. Let me know how it goes.
None of these steps didn’t work.
I did a factory reset and the notification went away
I’m glad the notification went away, Dina.
How do I do a factory reset?
Hey Glenys, the instructions might be different depending on your Android phone.
Anyway, follow these steps: Settings > System > Advanced > Reset Options > Erase All Data (Factory Reset) > Reset Phone.
If that doesn’t work, let me know what Android phone you’re using.
I am going to try it, thanks.
You’re welcome, Bruce. Let me know how it goes.
Omfg thx so much I did the trick with turn on/off notifications and now it’s gone thx a lot 😀
Hi Panos, you’re welcome. Happy to help 👍👍👍
I tried step 1 and you sent a code on my phone which did not come through so I selected another method and you sent a notification via a text message. After I recovered the code I could not get back to the screen to enter the code. What am I doing wrong or what should I be doing?
Also go to work apps list and disable work account button at the bottom then re-enable it
My son tempered with my google account so parental guidance appear on the screen.
Hi Churchill, To turn off parental guidance follow these steps: Play Store > Menu > Settings > Family > Parental controls. Toggle the switch next to it to turn it off. You’ll need to enter same the pin that you used to set Parental controls on that phone. Let me know if you use further help.
I have an android tv where account action required pops out and the tv turns off. I need to do a factory reset but the tv doesn’t allow me to get to the tv settings or add/remove Google accounts. Any advise?
Hey Mark, In that case, you’d need to perform a forced factory reset on your Android TV. What is the brand of your TV?
I tried everything but none of them work
I think I have to factory reset but I need somethings in my phone. If I get a back up and after that reset factory my phone Will the problem be solved?
Hey Kian, absolutely the factory reset should fix the problem. Make sure to make a full back up of your phone.