It’s frustrating when your AirPods are connected but have no sound as you cannot enjoy your favorite music streaming service.
There are many reasons why this may happen though. Fortunately, this can be an easy problem to fix providing you know what to look for.
We’ll go through all the possible reasons why your AirPods are connected but won’t play audio and how to fix the problem.
Why Are AirPods Connected but Have No Sound?
Your AirPods might be connected but have no sound for a few reasons. The volume limit and audio balance might be set to off. Perhaps this is why your AirPods don’t sound loud enough for you to hear them.
It’s not just that. There are other reasons why your AirPods may have no sound, even if they’re connected.
- AirPods Bluetooth connection with the phone is disconnected.
- AirPods don’t have enough battery.
- Outdated AirPods firmware or iOS.
- AirPods have a hardware problem.
- AirPods don’t fit well in the charging case and don’t charge.
How to Fix AirPods Connected but Have No Sound
If your AirPods are connected but there’s no sound, you need to reset and repair your AirPods. To re-pair your AirPods, go to Settings > Bluetooth > Info > Forget This Device. Then, hold the back button for ten seconds.
Here are all the tips that will help you fix your AirPods connection problems. Try these tips in order until you find the one that fixes your problem.
Check out this article, if you have problems with one AirPod not working for step-by-step instructions.
1. Reset AirPods
Resetting AirPods solves many minor issues including no sound problem. To reset your AirPods using iOS, follow the steps below:
1. First, put AirPods in their Charging Case.
2. Close the lid, wait 30 seconds and open the lid.
3. After that, go to Settings.
4. Then. select Bluetooth.
5. Tap on “i” next to AirPods name.
6. Next, select Forget This Device.
7. Go back to your AirPod (make sure the lid is open).
8. Press and hold Setup Button for at least 15 seconds.
9. The white light becomes a flashing amber light and it’s done.
10. Finally, reconnect AirPods to iPhone/iPad/iPod/Mac/Android device.
2. Disable Automatic Ear Detection
Sometimes Automatic Ear Detection causes trouble in AirPods. Users report the AirPods are connected but there’s no sound! Turning off this feature may solve the problem. Follow the steps below:
1. First, head to the Settings menu.
2. Select Bluetooth.
3. Then, tap on the “i” icon next to your AirPods name.
4. Finally, disable Automatic Ear Detection.
3. Remove Volume Level Limit and Audio Balance
Turning on the Volume Level Limit on iPhone or iPad may cause trouble. If your AirPods are connected but have no sound, this could be the reason.
This feature allows you to control the volume limit, so it can’t hurt your ears. It is disabled by default, but check to ensure it’s not turned on by mistake.
To set audio balance:
1. Tap Settings.
2. Following that, scroll down and select Accessibility.
3. Scroll down and go to Audio/Visual.
4. Next, choose Balance Left or Right.
To remove Volume Level Limit, follow the steps below:
1. Go to Settings.
2. Then, choose Sounds & Haptics.
3. Select Headphone Safety.
4. After that, disable Reduce Loud Sounds.
4. Update iOS
Apple releases around 10 iOS updates a year on average and we recommend updating your iPhone as soon as possible.
If your iPhone runs an old version of iOS, there might be bugs and problems. So, if you want to prevent these types of issues, update your iPhone or iPad right after the update is released.
Here’s how to check for available updates:
1. First, head to the Settings app.
2. After that, select General.
3. Select Software Update.
4. Check if there’s any new version available or not.
5. Reset Network Settings
If your AirPods are connected but still have no sound, it’s time to reset your iPhone’s network settings.
There may be some connectivity issues and resetting network settings may solve these problems.
Before starting the process, keep in mind that resetting network settings will remove all Bluetooth devices, Wi-Fi networks, call settings, and all other settings. To reset network settings, follow the steps below:
1. Choose Settings.
2. After that, tap on General.
3. Hit Transfer or Reset iPhone.
4. Then, tap on Reset.
5. Choose Reset Network Settings.
6. Finally, enter your passcode and let the process finish.
6. Clean AirPods
When you use your AirPods for quite a time, dirt and debris may block the mesh and no sound will come out.
If you clean your AirPods regularly, it won’t happen. Use a clean cotton swab, an AirPods cleaner kit, or a clean lint-free anti-static fabric to clean every part of your AirPods carefully.
7. Charge AirPods
Low battery on AirPods may disrupt functionality and it may cause low or no sound when you want to listen to music.
Bring your AirPods close to your iPhone and open the lid. There will be a pop-up that shows the Charging Case and the AirPods battery level.
If there’s not enough battery, plug your AirPods into their charger, and wait at least 2 hours to fully charge them.
If you have charging issues, follow the steps in this guide to fix it when one AirPods is not charging.
8. Contact Apple Support
If none of the abovementioned solutions solved your problem, you may need to contact Apple Support for further help.
They will help you with repairing or replacing your AirPods. Sometimes there is something wrong with your hardware and you can’t solve it with DIY solutions. Apple Support is what you need in this case.
Final Thoughts: AirPods Connected but No Sound
As you can see, fixing connected AirPods with no sound isn’t that difficult.
In many cases, network connectivity issues, AirPods low battery, outdated operating system, or hardware issues may cause this.
Try the fixes below or take your AirPods to the nearest Apple Store for help to solve your AirPods sound issues.
- Reset the Bluetooth on your phone.
- Use the “Forget This Device” feature to reset your AirPods.
- Restart your phone.
- Update your iPhone to the latest iOS version.
- Turn off all nearby Bluetooth devices.
- Clean your AirPods and charging ports.
- Turn off Automatic Ear Detection.
- Fully charge your AirPods.
I hope this assisted you in fixing your “AirPods connected but no sound” problem. In case you fixed the problem with any other solution, please do share it in the comments section.