Roku offers a massive library of channels for its users. So it’s easy to go on a channel-gathering binge of any app that looks even remotely interesting.
So before you know it, your menu is all cluttered, making it hard to navigate.
Whether you are looking to remove channels from Roku because you have too many, you want to remove one that is causing an issue, or an app you are simply not interested in, we can quickly show you how to do so in this guide.
The process is quite simple. You can do it with the Roku remote or even on the compatible Roku app.
If you have a subscription with a particular app, we will even show you how to deactivate or cancel that subscription.
How to Remove Channels From Roku With Remote
The process of deleting a channel from the Roku menu is straightforward. If you don’t use an app or find it problematic, then there is no reason to keep it.
You can remove your Roku channels by following these steps:
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
- Navigate to the channel you wish to remove with the arrow buttons on the remote or through your remote feature on the official Roku app.
- Once on the channel, press the options button (typically appears as a star or an asterisk)
- This will pop up a sub-menu that will feature a number of options, one of them being the Remote channel.
- Navigate to that option and hit the start button.
- An additional menu verifying that you are sure you want to remove that channel will appear. Select Remove there to confirm your decision.
That’s it! You’ve removed the channel from your Roku menu.
See also: How to pair Roku remote (step-by-step)
How to Remove Channels From Roku With Roku App
If you prefer to use the official Roku app, you can easily delete channels from your phone. This accomplishes the same end goal.
To remove channels using the app, follow these steps:
1. Launch the official Roku app and tap the Devices option at the bottom of the screen.
2. Your Roku (as well as any additional Roku devices) will show up on the list, assuming your phone is in the same WiFi network. Choose the one you want to delete the app from.
3. Tap on the Roku device to connect to it. Once connected, select the Channels icon beneath the device.
4. Make sure you’re on the Channels tab on the next screen (not Channel Store). Tap and hold the channel you want to remove.
5. You’ll have the option to Launch or Remove it. Choose Remove Channel.
6. The next screen will ask you to confirm the channel’s removal. Tap the Remove button.
The final screen will quickly inform you about the channel being removed. That’s it. The channel is off from your channel menu.
Remove Channels from Roku by Canceling Subscriptions
Roku is aware of the channels you have active subscriptions with. In some instances, it’ll not allow you to remove them unless you cancel the subscription first.
It is certainly for the best unless you use the channel via another streaming medium, as you do not want to retain a subscription for an app you won’t use.
However, many are not aware of how to cancel these subscriptions and may get stuck with the channel they want to remove from their menu.
To deactivate or cancel subscriptions on your Roku, follow these steps:
- Logging on to the Roku website from your browser of choice
- Sign into your Roku account via the My Account icon
- Select Manage your subscriptions in the Manage account section
- You’ll see a list of current subscriptions where you to cancel any that you no longer need.
After canceling the subscription and unsubscribing from the channel, you can follow one of the two deletion steps mentioned earlier. This will help you to remove the channel from your Roku menu.
Is Removing Channels on Roku Worth It?
The key to using a streaming interface is convenience. If your menu is cluttered with unused apps, you may end up wasting time navigating through them to get to the ones you actually use.
In that sense, there is no reason to clutter the menu with things you will never use. After all, the way the Roku menu looks is entirely up to you.
Removing unused channels affords a nicer, more navigable interface to interact with, vastly improving the user’s experience
If you have any feedback or questions, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.