Have you noticed that you cannot see the contents of the notifications you receive on your Android device? Or have you come across a “New Notification Content Hidden” prompt on your lock screen?
This can be frustrating, especially when you want to have a quick glance at the notification without unlocking your device.
This is a common problem in Android devices (especially in Samsung devices). In this guide, we will walk you through the cause of this error and how to fix it. Stick with us.
Why Does My Phone Say New Notification Content Hidden?
The main reason why your phone says “new notification content hidden” is because of glitches or bugs in the Speech Services by Google application. Occasionally, this app (and other Google apps) can experience glitches that can cause hidden notifications to appear.
Other causes of the “new notification content hidden” error include:
- Notifications from an app in the Secure Folder.
- The Content Hidden feature.
- Lock screen settings.
- Incompatible software updates.
How to Fix “New Notification Content Hidden”
We’ve gathered all the best fixes that are proven to stop the hidden notification problem. Let’s dive in!
Uninstall Updates of Speech Services by Google
If the hidden notification comes from the Speech Services by Google app, you might need to uninstall updates and force-stop the application.
To fix the problem, follow these steps:
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- Search for Speech Services by Google.
- Click on Uninstall and confirm the action to all updates to the app.
- After it uninstalls, click on Update to update the app afresh.
- Go to Settings and select the Apps panel.
- Search for Speech Services by Google in the list of apps.
If you do not find it, click on the three-dotted menu and select Show System Apps. It will now be on the list. You could alternatively search for Google Text-to-speech Engine.
- Go to Notifications.
- Switch off all notifications using the toggle button.
- Go back to the App Info and click on Force Stop.
- Click OK.
The hidden content notification will now disappear and you will be able to view notifications properly henceforth.
If this fix doesn’t solve your problem or the issue is not from the Speech Services by Google app, you can try the other solutions below.
Edit Samsung Secure Folder Settings
If you use a Samsung device, your notifications might be hidden because the app sending the notification is in your Secure Folder.
The Samsung Secure Folder is an encrypted space for keeping all files, media, and apps private. It uses the Samsung Knox security system and protects your apps and media from prying eyes and attacks.
You will need to change the notification settings of your Secure Folder to access the content of the notifications. Follow these steps to change the settings:
- Go to Settings and select the Biometrics and Security tab.
- Click on Secure Folder.
- Enter your pin or password to access the Secure Folder settings.
- Click on Notifications and Data.
- Switch on the Show Content option.
Now, the “new notification content hidden” problem will be solved. If it isn’t, go back to the Secure Folder settings and disable the carrier hub. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go back to Notifications and Data.
- Select App Notifications.
- Disable Carrier Hub.
You should now be able to view the notifications without having the content hidden. However, you can only do this when you are in the Secure Folder. If you want to view notification content outside the Secure Folder, please check the next solution.
Remove the App From the Samsung Secure Folder
If your apps are in the Secure Folder of your device, you would have to put in your pin or password anytime you want to view the notification content. The easy fix for that is to remove the app of your choice from the Secure Folder.
Follow the steps below to remove an app from the Samsung Secure Folder:
- Open the Secure Folder app.
- Long press on the app you want to remove.
- Select Uninstall from the menu.
Uninstalling an app in the Secure Folder does not actually uninstall the app. It just removes the app from the Folder and takes it back to the other regular apps drawer.
Now, you should be able to view the contents of all your notifications.
Change Lock Screen Settings
If your lock screen settings have been configured to hide the contents of your notifications, all the fixes above will not work. You will need to allow the contents of your notifications to show on your lock screen.
Follow these steps to do so:
- Go to Settings and then click on the Lock Screen tab.
- Click on Notifications.
- Change the View Style to Details.
- Turn off the Hide Content option.
You will be able to see what the notification will look like in the preview bar.
If you do not have a Lock Screen tab in your Android settings, you can go to the Privacy tab and then Notifications to access the settings.
Check the App’s Notification Settings
If the content of the notification still remains hidden, please check the notification settings of the particular app sending the notification and then edit the notification settings. Follow these steps to do so:
- Long press on the notification and then click on Details.
- Change the notification settings to your tastes. It is advised to turn on all notification options.
The “new notification content hidden” problem will now be solved. You can read all your notifications now.
Factory Reset Your Device
If the fixes above do not work and the new notification still has its content hidden, there might be a problem with your phone. You will have to carry out a factory reset.
A factory reset should always be the last resort, but if all fails, this might be your only option. Back up all your important data and files in a cloud storage service of your choice, as a factory reset will clear all your data.
Before you reset your phone, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to safely back up your Android phone.
To factory reset your phone, follow these simple steps:
- Open Settings and go to General Management.
- Click on Reset.
- Choose Factory Data Reset. It will wipe out your phone and erase all of your data.
- Click on the Reset button to completely reset your phone to the factory settings.
You have now reset your device. The “new notification content hidden” problem will be gone.
Final Thoughts on Notification Content Hidden
If you’ve come across a Content Hidden Notification on your phone, don’t panic, there are several proven fixes you can try to get rid of it:
- Uninstall updates of Speech Services by Google
- Edit Samsung secure folder settings
- Remove the app from the Samsung Secure folder
- Change lock screen settings
- Check the app’s notifications settings
- Factory reset your device
If you have any other ideas or suggestions, don’t hesitate to suggest them in the comments below.